With just five weeks since their return to swim training, Mount Kelly swimmers did a remarkable job of racing in a calm, mature and level-headed manner at the British Championships, with some even managing to get within reach of their best times.
To be accepted for entry, swimmers needed to be within 10% of the Olympic consideration time set by British Swimming. This alone is a huge achievement, and to watch our pupils race against the best in the world, unphased by their limited preparation time compared to the unbroken preparation for the majority of competitors was commendable. Nearly all of our swimmers improved their rankings from where they qualified.
- Erin: 200 Free – 16th, 100 Free – 11th, and 50 Free – 8th (Mount Kelly Age Group Record, Open MK Record, Personal Best, and Finalist!)
- Theo: 400 Free – 17th
- Imogen: 400 IM – 12th, 200 IM – 14th and 100 Breast – 20th
- Leah: 100 Back – 20th and 50 Free – 11th
- Sophie: 200 Breast – 17th (MK Age Group Record)
- Tom: 800 Free – 13th (MK Age Group Record) and 1500 Free – 11th
- Scarlet: 400 Free – 14th
- Sophie: 400 Free – 16th
- Megan: 400 Free – 19th
- Calvin: 50 Free – 15th (Personal Best)
- Hollie: 200 IM – 15th (Youngest swimmer to qualify in the whole meet)
- Hermione: 100 Breast – 19th
- Elena: 50 Free – 13th
A special mention goes to Erin who, at the age of 15 years, made the Olympic Trials 50m Free Final after just five weeks of training. Erin achieved a time of 25.87, finishing 8th and setting an Open Mount Kelly Record.
Report by Emma Collings-Barnes, Director of SwimmingCategories: Swimming